Would You Like to Get Certified?

Commonly asked questions

Can volunteer work be used as evidence?

Volunteering, work experience and internships can all be used if the experience you have gained relates to any of the units contained in the Qualification. Even hobby related activities may be used as evidence if you can provide samples which are relevant.

Can I use a family member as a reference if I work for a family business?

If you work for a family business you can ask a family member to provide a reference, however this must include a Statutory Declaration that is sighted and signed by a Justice of the Peace. Where possible, you should attempt to obtain additional references and testimonials from industry colleagues so that you are able to avoid any “conflict of interest” situations.

What is an RTO?

RTO means Registered Training Organisation. An RTO is required to conform to the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015 which is administered by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA). This ensures that the standard of training and assessment provided by RTOs meets the expected vocational benchmarks.

How long does the RPL Assessment process take?

Once you have successfully provided your evidence in a timely manner and the RPL Assessment has been completed, your application will be lodged with the RTO for processing. The time period for having the qualification issued by the RTO – provided that no further evidence is needed to meet requirements – is generally 2 – 4 weeks. Please note that the overall completion time is affected by the length of time it takes you to compile your evidence.

Can I use previous study as evidence?

If you have completed prior education and have received qualifications that are recognised in Australia, you could be eligible for Direct Credit Transfer. Many Training Packages include the option of using Units of Competency from other qualifications to complete RPL, provided that the qualifications and/or units of competency can be mapped to the current qualification. It may be necessary to undertake Gap Training where the qualifications and/or units of competency do not fully map. If you don’t have any prior qualifications, you will be assessed on the industry skills, knowledge and experience you have, that are related to the qualification you are seeking.

What if I don’t have proof of my previous qualifications?

Contact the learning institution where you completed the studies. They should be able to provide you with a copy of your qualification. If that is not an option, you will have to discuss other ways in which you can demonstrate your competence with your consultant.

Is there an option whereby I can simply demonstrate my skills, instead of having to locate older qualifications?

Absolutely Old qualifications are supporting documents, but you can still demonstrate your aptitude without having to present qualifications.

Who is eligible to apply for a qualification via recognition of prior learning?

Anyone with prior learning can apply.

How much does the RPL cost?

Costs depend on the qualification and individual circumstances.

Is it cheaper and easier to just enrol in the courses?

In most cases, recognition of prior learning will save you money. You will not have to pay for resources and you already have the basic skills, unless there are gaps that require workplace training or class attendance.

What method can I use to provide evidence?
We prefer that evidence for RPL be sent via email in electronic format, for instance word/pdf documents, powerpoints, etc. We have secure portals so that personal documentation, such as ID and private documents, can be sent via encrypted online file-sharing and uploading systems. This ensures privacy, confidentiality and integrity of information submitted. Hard copy documentation may be sent, however we prefer soft copies as we have an appreciation for the environment and do all we can to reduce our carbon footprint in our business practices.